Evidence Codes for the Gene Ontology (GO)
This table presents the evidence codes used by the Gene
Consortium, with examples of the types
of experiments, data, or statements that are included by each code. The evidence code
is linked with a specific GO annotation and literature reference to describe what
type of evidence was present in that reference to make the annotation. Additional
information about the GO Evidence Codes is available in documentation on the GO site,
in GO Evidence Codes
||Inferred from Direct
- Enzyme assays
- In vitro reconstitution
- Cell fractionation
- Physical interaction/binding assay.
||Inferred from Electronic
- Annotations based on "hits" in sequence similarity searches, if not
curator-reviewed. Annotations transferred from database records, if not
||Inferred from Expression
- Transcript levels [e.g. Northerns, microarray data]
- Protein levels [e.g. Western blots].
||Inferred from Genetic
- Traditional genetic interactions such as suppressors, synthetic
- Functional complementation
- Rescue experiments.
||Inferred from Mutant
- Any gene mutation/knockout
- Overexpression/ectopic expression of wild-type or mutant genes
- Anti-sense experiments
- Specific protein inhibitors.
||Inferred from Physical
- 2-hybrid interactions
- Ion/protein binding experiments.
||Inferred from Sequence or
- Sequence similarity [homolog of/most closely related to]
- Recognized domains
- Structural similarity
- Southern blotting.
- Database entries that do not cite a paper [e.g. SwissProt records, YPD
- Statements in papers [abstract, introduction, or discussion] that a
curator cannot trace to another publication.
||No Biological Data
- Used for annotations done before the DICTYBASE curators began tracking
evidence types. It should not be used for new annotations.
||Inferred from Reviewed
- Anything in a review article where the original experiments are
traceable through that article, or in a textbook or dictionary [e.g.
"everybody" knows that enolase is a glycolytic enzyme].